How to Use Castor Oil to Quickly Grow Your Hair
If you’ve noticed your hair thinning or are experiencing hair loss and have yet to find a product that helps alleviate or reverse the problem, know that there are other options available. Castor oil is an affordable, natural product that can deliver quality results for people with balding or thinning hair. For a long time, castor oil has been deemed one of the best natural products for stimulating hair growth and for undoing some of the hair-related problems people deal with on a regular basis.
We all yearn for that lush, long, and shiny head of hair. Yet many of us struggle with dry and brittle hair that tends to break easily and thin with time. The good news is that we don’t have to spend a lot of time and money searching for hair restorative procedures to reverse these symptoms – all it may take is a little bit of castor oil.
What is Castor Oil?
Castor oil is an all-natural oil that is derived from the castor plant (Ricinus communis). It’s a colorless oil, and people often describe its smell in a number of ways. It is said to smell like nuts, or smoke, or tree bark. Often when people find the smell a little off-putting, they will mix a little hair-friendly essential oil (such as lavender, peppermint, or rosemary) to their castor oil — this method seems to work. And it will allow those using castor oil to gain the scalp and hair benefits of the essential oil that they choose. Still, don’t judge this oil by its aroma, for it’s proven to be an extraordinary product when applied to the hair.
Some of the Major Benefits of Castor Oil
Castor oil is well known for its lubricating and waxing properties, which make it particularly suitable for hair, especially for moisturizing hair, facilitating hair growth, and helping to prevent thinning hair or hair loss. The oil contains a high concentration of ricinoleic acid, an amino acid that promotes regeneration and growth of hair. The anti-inflammatory properties of Ricinoleic acid help stimulate blood flow in the scalp and, so, help stimulate hair follicles and protect existing hair follicles. It can be used by both men and women to regrow hair and to prevent hair loss.
Castor oil can help protect hair from potentially harmful effects of sun exposure and environmental conditions (i.e. air pollution). It is also known for nourishing dry scalp and protecting the skin from acne. Hence, beyond assisting with thinning hair and hair loss, the oil can be viewed as an all-purpose hair solution of sorts.
Is Castor Oil Safe?
An all-natural product, castor oil is safe to apply to the body. Unlike many store-bought products, you won’t have to worry about potentially harmful chemicals that can be harmful or damaging to your hair. It’s typically inexpensive, costing far much less than some prescribed medicinal shampoos that promise to curb hair thinning and hair loss. It’s easy to apply and has been proven to be effective for many Americans.
How to Use Castor Oil in the Hair
As we noted above, castor oil is extremely easy to use. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how you can apply it to your hair for best results:
- Start by placing a few drops of the oil into your hands. You don’t need a lot of this oil — just a few drops in each hand should suffice.
- Work the oil through your hair until it is dispersed all throughout your scalp. Make sure to also apply it onto the scalp and not just to the hair.
- Once the scalp is completely covered, make sure that any excess oil is spread out onto the hair.
- Wait twenty minutes.
- After the castor oil has soaked into your hair for twenty minutes, shampoo your hair and rinse out all of the oil. If there is still oil on your scalp and in your hair after the initial rinse, shampoo and rinse again. Consider using less oil in the future if many repeat rinses are necessary.
- Use a towel to dry your hair, and then let your hair air dry. Do not use a blow dryer.
- You should be able to notice some minor improvements to your hair immediately, but this process should be done, in the beginning, at least 3 times a week to begin seeing major improvements. After you’ve achieve satisfactory results, scale back to only using castor oil once a week.
To gain and maintain a healthy head of hair, you need to receive the right kinds of nutrients. For many people today, getting the right nutrients is difficult, especially because diet, environmental factors, shampoos and conditioners all take part in dictating the health of our hair. Castor oil is an amazing curative for aiding nutrients to the scalp and for providing protection from the elements. And, above all, it is a great natural oil for stimulating hair growth.