MCT Oil for Health and Wellness
MCT oil is made up of medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) extracted from coconut oil, and it is used as a supplement for weight loss. It is, in fact, among the most highly regarded oils in the world for weight loss. This is because the unique combination of fatty acids in MCT oil significantly increases the metabolism of anyone who consumes it.
What is MCT oil
MCTs are fats that are found naturally in coconut oil. Coconut oil contains long-chain fatty acids and medium-chain fatty acids. MCT oil, in turn, is a refined form of coconut oil. Its long-chained triglycerides have been primarily removed, leaving it full of medium chain triglycerides (MCTs). These fats are more rapidly digested than other types of fats because they require fewer enzymes and bile acids for intestinal digestion. After ingestion, these fats go directly to the liver where they are metabolized and released as energy.
What makes MCT oils effective as a weight loss supplement is the fact that their characteristics resemble carbohydrates when they provide energy to the body. However, unlike carbohydrates, MCTs are not stored as fat deposits in the body. Moreover, MCTs aren’t simply used as a weight supplement. They can be used also to provide nutrition to the brain, helping to improve cognitive performance. MCT oil stays in liquid form when refrigerated, and it can be used for cooking.
What Makes MCTs So Special
The first thing that makes MCTs special are the length of their chemical structures. Fats are categorized depending on the number of carbon strings connected to form them, and MCTs have 6 to 12 carbons strings.
The second unique quality of MCTs is the thermogenic effect that they induce. Because they are sent directly to the liver for metabolism, the body releases a lot of heat so that it can metabolize the fat very quickly. This process is known as thermogenesis.
The third unique quality of MCTs is that they remain in their liquid state, even when refrigerated. After being encapsulated, most supplements tend to lose a certain amount of nutritional value. The absorption of solid supplements is slower because they are in a solid state. Because they remain in liquid form, MCTs are easily digested and, so, affect the body quickly.
Health Benefits of MCTs
- MCTs are easily digested because they go directly to the liver. In the liver, thermogenesis takes place, and these fats are broken down into energy, which is used by the body to burn fats.
- MCTs are not stored. Normally, fats are used for energy production, and then excess fats are stored as fatty deposits in the body. MCTs act differently because they are broken down in the liver through thermogenesis to produce heat and energy.
- MCTs are used to treat food disorders. For anyone suffering from a food disorder (such as diarrhea, fat indigestion, and short bowel syndrome), MCTs can be used to treat and to reduce the severity of these disorders. This is because MCTs help to ease the digestion of food.
- MCT’s fortify the health of the gut. These oils are supportive of our gut environment because they have antiviral and antibacterial properties. Evidence suggests that MCTs help balance the bacteria in the gut. Moreover, since the body easily utilizes them, MCTs promote digestion, and in the long run, improve gut health.
- MCTs aid in weight loss. MCTs increase the body’s metabolism by releasing energy. The increase in metabolism helps to break down any fat deposits around the body, hence reducing general body weight.
- MCTs can be used with other diets. When a diet is supplemented with MCTs, the effectiveness of the diet is increased.
- MCTs can withstand high temperatures. MCTs are taken into the body through ingestion. Sometimes they are consumed with cooked food. These oils can be used to cook at very high temperatures without disintegrating or losing their nutritional content.
MCT oil vs. Coconut Oil
There is quite a difference between these two oils. MCT oil has a higher concentration of capric and caprylic acid, both of which aid in increased metabolism. Coconut oil, on the other hand, has a high concentration of lauric acid, which is beneficial for skin health. It can help with such problems as severe acne. Which of the two is better depends on each person’s particular needs.
Using health supplements is one of the most common ways that people try to lose weight. Since we all like fast results, health supplements can be a great addition to any health care routine. MCT oil is an amazing health supplement because it can increase the body’s metabolism for faster weight loss.