Sleep Better with Aromatherapy
Over 40 million people in the U.S. suffer from some form of chronic sleep disorder. 20 million additional people report occasional sleep trouble. With so many people having issues with something essential to life itself, it’s time to consider an effective and natural sleep aid – essential oils.
Personal Dangers of Insufficient Sleep
Insufficient sleep leads to health and safety issues. Even one night of insufficient sleep can be linked to fatal outcomes.
- Findings reported by Harvard Medical School show that missing only one restful night of sleep leads to elevated blood pressure in hypertension patients.
- Sleep deprivation negatively impacts motor skills, which can lead to accidents, including falls and vehicle collisions.
- Cognitive performance is compromised in those who don’t get enough sleep for even one night. This affects decision-making throughout the day, how quickly you respond to problems, and how you perform common tasks, such as cooking and fueling the car.
- Emotional imbalance occurs in those who don’t get enough sleep. This may result in irrational behavior, being quick to anger, depression, and thoughts of despair.
- Your immune system repairs and restores itself during sleep. When your body isn’t given a chance to recuperate overnight, the immune system is compromised, leaving you and your body more susceptible to everything from the common cold and to stress disorders, to serious disease.
- Even your life expectancy is lessened when you don’t get enough sleep. Harvard researchers have found that those who got five or fewer hours of sleep per night had a 15% higher mortality rate than those who routinely got more sleep.
Public Dangers of Insufficient Sleep
Insufficient sleep isn’t just a personal nuisance. The CDC considers insufficient sleep a public health concern. Not only does insufficient sleep lead to a range of health problems, but it can contribute to accidents that affect the public.
- Per the Federal Aviation Administration, between 4-7% of aviation accidents and incidents can be attributed to pilot fatigue.
- Every year, almost 4,000 people perish in highway accidents involving truck drivers who were too tired to drive.
Sleep is essential to your well-being. Find out how aromatherapy can naturally enhance your body’s ability to fall asleep quickly and stay asleep throughout the night.
Aromatherapy for Stress
Stress is a common reason people cite for not getting enough sleep. Having troublesome thoughts about money, family life and other worries can inhibit the body’s natural tendency to send you off to sleep when you go to bed.
Using essential oils for aromatherapy greatly helps in relieving stress and tension so many people suffer from.
- Lemon essential oil has been used for millennia by Ayurveda practitioners to treat symptoms of stress and anxiety. Problems of the mood seem to dissipate into thin air when you inhale the fresh scent of lemon essential oil. Lemon essential oil helps elevate the mind from negative thoughts to happier ones.
- Bergamot essential oil also helps alleviate stressful thoughts. Bergamot essential oil has a citrusy scent—a cross between orange, lemon, and lime. Inhaling this pleasant scent has been shown to change brain wave patterns, which helps shift thoughts from negative to positive, enabling easier sleep.
Aromatherapy for Relaxation
Being able to relax is essential to drifting off to a night of deep and restful sleep. There are several essential oils that help bring on feelings of relaxation.
- Lavender essential oil is the most popular essential oil for relaxation. Known for its calming qualities, Lavender essential oil makes for a perfect natural sleep aid.
- Rosemary essential oil has a similar calming quality that enhances sleep when used as aromatherapy.
How to Use Essential Oils for Sleep Aromatherapy
It’s easy to incorporate essential oils into your sleep aromatherapy routine. Here are some ways to start today.
Make a Potpourri Bowl
Order dried lavender flowers online or purchase from a craft store. Place one cup of the flowers in a bag, along with three or four drops of lavender essential oil. Seal the bag and allow it to sit overnight. The next evening, empty the bag into a bowl and set it on your nightstand. The gentle lavender scent will waft over you as you lie down for your night’s slumber.
Scent a Sleep Mask
A silky-soft sleep mask can be made to function even better when you scent it with essential oils. Purchase an essential oil bottle with a spray top. Fill the bottle with distilled water, two drops of lavender oil, and one drop of lemon oil. Shake well. Spritz the mask with the oil and enjoy the scented results.
Use a Diffuser
Using an essential oil diffuser is the fastest and most effective way of scenting a room or the entire house with the pleasant fragrance of essential oils. As a sleep aid, essential oil is better than almost anything. Add your choice of lavender oil, rosemary oil, bergamot, lemon oil, or any combination you desire.
Spritz Your Bed Linens
Fill a spray bottle with distilled water and add a few drops of bergamot and lavender essential oils. The combination of the two will relax you enough to fall fast asleep.
Add Essential Oils to Your Laundry
When laundering your nightgowns and pajamas, why not add a few drops of sleep-inducing essential oils? Add a dry washcloth to the dryer cycle. Before tossing in the load, trickle 3-4 drops of lavender onto the cloth. Your sleepwear will be infused with the very essential oils that help you go to dreamland.
Now, when you go to sleep, you’ll be able to doze off and reach that deep level of REM sleep that’ll have you waking up in the morning feeling refreshed and relaxed. If you’re one of the millions of people who suffer from insomnia or another form of sleep disorder, try these aromatherapy treatments. You’ll sleep better.